Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Girl in Purple Stilettos (Part 2)

"That's right. That's what I said but that was before." and I flashed her the most suave smile I could manage.

She laughed then said "Don't you find it interesting that two strangers meet in a bar, spill their hearts out and don't exchange names? There's something about the anonymity that turns this simple experience an adventure, don't you think? Besides, who knows maybe we'll bump into each other a few years from now."

"Like serendipity?"

"Exactly. Please tell me you've seen the movie."

"I don't know if i should be proud to admit but yes, I have seen the movie."

She laughed again. Wow, I'm getting better at this by the minute.

I continued, "So what now? Do you want me to write my name and number on a dollar bill and we go find a book where you could write yours?"

She smiled and said, "Well no, of course not. I won't want you to take years to find me."

It's my turn to smile. She likes me. I know it.

"How about we exchange names but not our first names. We give our nicknames that may or may not be a shortcut version of our real names and from there let's just hope we bump into each other again in the future."

"But how am i going to find you with a nickname?"

"That's the beauty of it. You can't..But if its meant to be. It'll happen. Serendipity remember?"

"Uhmmm..I guess." I felt like I was fighting a losing battle.

"Hi, I'm Belle nice to meet you." and she stretched out her hand for me to shake

I took her hand and said, "I'm Les and the pleasure is all mine, Belle."

Her hand was so soft. It was like holding a silk-covered pillow.

"So..how about that phone number?"

"What are you going to do with my number if I give it to you?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Well for starters, I'm going to rub my friends' faces in it and enjoy my free drinks tonight and secondly I'm going to call you and ask you out on a real date."

"Wow, smooth talker. So how can you still be single with lines like that?"

"Well, that my friend, is a story for another night. On our date, perhaps?"

"You never give up, do you?"

"Never..Especially if there's a lot at stake."

She laughed AGAIN and said "How about this, I give you my number but one of the digits will be wrong and I won't tell you which one. In that way, you win your bet and you're one step closer to finding me." Then she smiled.

"You're not going to make this easy for me, huh?"

"Nope.", then she shakes her head without removing that smile on her face.

"Alright then. You win but I'm also going to give you a clue to finding me too. Just to be fair, you know?"

"Ok sounds fair. So what's the clue? Don't make it too easy, ok?"

"I have an Alaskan Malamute."

"What is an Alaskan Mala-what?"

"Alaskan Malamute. It's for you to find out."

"Alright then. Alaskan Mala.."

"Mute."

"Yes, Alaskan Malamute."

"Yes. That's correct. So just to be clear, if either one of us finds each other that means we're going out on a date."

"Uh huh and we're using that money you saved on your drinks tonight"

Now it's my turn to laugh.

"So hey Les, it has been quite refreshing to talk to you tonight but its getting late and I really have to get home."

I didn't really see that coming so soon and all I could say was "already?"

"Yes. I don't really like going home alone so late at night."

"Hey, I can always take you home" I offered,

"That's sweet but I'll be fine. I should really go. I hope to see you one day though. I'm counting on the serendipity gods to make that happen"

And with those words she turned her back and I was left with the clunk sound of her purple stilettos and a newfound belief in the serendipity gods and the hope that one day I would see her again.



To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment